Located on a sloping site on the Georgia Tech campus, the Marcus Nanotechnology Research Center enables ultra-clean research and teaching activities ranging from microelectronics and semiconductors to nanotechnology.
The heart of the building is a light-filled central gallery connecting a 30,000 square-foot cleanroom block to a wing of offices, conference spaces, support laboratories and an imaging suite. The gallery features a sculptured wood wall and ceiling, highlighted by an animated slot of LED lights. An oval cylinder at the gallery’s south end contains a skylit steel and glass stairwell.
Working with executive architect M+W Group, Bohlin Cywinski Jackson created a three-level cleanroom block as an open plan “ballroom,” with large flexible space with the capacity for Class 10, 100, and 1000 research. Clad in ribbed, precast concrete panels, the cleanroom wing is screened by a perforated copper wall that provides a unified enclosure for the facility’s stairwells and support equipment. The screen’s openings vary across the façade in response to sun exposure and functional location, in counterpoint to the metal sunshades that moderate the laboratory wing’s glazed exposures.